Thursday, August 27, 2015

Day 5: The PROCESS has begun…

So now we know the house is a “total loss” according to all the insurance people. Totally uninhabitable for lack of a better term. And all personal effects are considered that as well – a total loss.  But this is the day Husband and I walked through the rubble just one more time grabbing what few items we felt like we could clean enough and put in a box as a keepsake.  We gathered a few broken picture frames with melted photos to keep in case we couldn’t find someone that had a copy or digital one. We found a few of the clay figurines the kids had made in their kindergarten classes and wiped the ash away.  There were 2 frames hanging crookedly on the wall downstairs in my bedroom.  I wiped the black soot off and took them with me… pictures of R as a baby.  So as I did that I realized – the baby books.  I walked to the bottom shelf where I had all three lined up next to my pregnancy journal.  Their drenched pages sat under the 8 inches of water in that room.  I held my tears on the edge of my eyelids as the restoration representative asked if I wanted to try to restore them. Yes. I do.


It was Friday and we had checked out of the first hotel because they did not have available rooms for the weekend – some volleyball tournament in the area had precedence.  We picked up the kids from school and went to the new hotel to settle in.  It was so nice to have a little more space.  There was a tiny burner stove area and a refrigerator, as well as a small living space with a couch between the two rooms.  I remember falling asleep on the chair in that room after making another list.  This time – groceries and shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment