Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Day 9: Back to School


This was my first day back to teaching. The kids had gone back on Wednesday of last week, but I needed a few more days to pull our lives together.  I remember it being pretty emotional. I think the most memorable time of that first day back at work was the students.  All my students were so sweet and understanding. Of course, since I teach science, the concept of how the lightning created the fire was a hot topic (no pun intended).  I recall telling the students what the Arson Investigator had told us that morning…
“Think about lightning hitting a large tree in a forest.  There is naturally water in the trunk and when the lightning hits the water evaporates and then the wood ignites.  Sometimes it causes the tree to actually explode. There is normally a delay in the actual fire of a tree with moisture.  Your wood frame was dry and once the roof was struck, it ignited immediately. We are lucky it didn’t explode. The fire was instantaneous. Your entire roof burned in 8 minutes.”
I am sure I’ve told this part of the story many times over, but it was astonishing to me that it could all happen that quickly.  My students were stunned, as were friends and family upon hearing the Investigator’s explanation.

My co-workers were more than supportive for the whole family. A meal schedule was created and we had meals for an entire month.  I cannot describe how much of a help this was… Especially being that I had no kitchen items. No plates, no cups, no forks or spoons, no Pyrex, no dish towels, no Tupperware. I felt so lost. I couldn’t even pack the kids lunches because not only did we have no lunch boxes, we had no Ziplocs either.  It’s stuff you really don’t think about.  It’s just already in your kitchen as a staple.  So to have meals prepared in dishes I could keep was more than awesome.  Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday a new meal (salad, main dish, side dishes AND desserts) was brought to us. Blessed beyond measure and it only was the beginning… 

No comments:

Post a Comment