Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Day 1 -- October 6th: Around noon

About this time all three fire departments (our town and two surrounding city fire departments were called to help) were finally winding down and clearing the streets.  It had rained pretty hard for about 30 minutes earlier, but not enough to put out the small fires still going between the brick and the frame of the house.  They said they would have to come back in two hours to check the “smoldering areas.” (It was still burning?  How is that possible?)
I was finally able to reflect on the past 2-3 hours.  The paramedics had checked all 5 of us. I think the 30 minutes inside the ambulance was overwhelming in itself. I couldn’t even remember birthdates or ages.  I was so flustered. S had been on an antibiotic last week recovering from strep. So one of the EMTs said that she would need to follow-up with our pediatrician because she was the one with the most smoke inhalation. We were released from the ambulance and walked out into the bad dream again. I remember standing at the corner looking at the house holding onto R and S. We just stood there holding hands.
Husband was the one dealing with the fire inspectors, arson investigators (I couldn’t wrap my head around someone even thinking it was arson, but I guess that was just his job…) The fire team was trying to figure out a way to get the cars out. They finally went in and searched for the keys in the rubble, pried the garage doors open with the axes and crowbars, and got the cars out. Melted tires, clear coat melted off, scorch marks on the hoods. I just cannot describe it.
Everyone kept asking, “What can we do?” 
“I DON’T KNOW,” was my response. Every time. 
How do you even know where to start with something like this?  People from my school and all the kids’ schools came.  The principals, the counselors, PTA moms and dads… Even a few teachers from surrounding schools drove by to offer kinds words and help. (Even though we had no idea of what kind of help to ask for…)
About this time, the Red Cross had been parked a little way down the street.  The lady in the white vest with the Red Cross insignia had been just patiently waiting in my driveway as the fire trucks were cleaning up.  She finally approached me and I walked with her to her van.  There were two more Red Cross workers there and they offered snacks and Gatorades to the kids. Someone else had ordered pizzas so there was plenty of food for the neighborhood that was banding around us.  Husband was still with the fire fighters and his dad trying to figure out our next steps.

The Red Cross lady (sad, I cannot remember her name) had me fill out a ton of paperwork and gave us a Visa card to buy immediate clothing and food.  They also set up a one-night hotel room for us – I was so thankful, but so incredibly SAD about that.  It was when she had me sign the hotel form is when I realized… We are not sleeping here tonight. Or any night for a long time.  Tears just burst from my eyes and she said she’d give me a minute. She got out of the van and let me cry alone for a while.  I so needed that.

No comments:

Post a Comment