Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Prologue – Flu shot, F’s party, and Facetime

Oct. 3, 4, 5, 2014
My right arm hurt so badly.  couldn't even think about F’s party the next day.  I remember driving home from work that night and it hurting to move the steering wheel with my right hand. The Band-Aid kept sticking to my shirtsleeve. Sheesh, getting a flu shot was more painful than I thought. Guess that’s why it had been three years since my last one.
The next morning was all about making sure we had the game room and F’s bedroom cleaned for the party that day. I loved the new chestnut colored bedroom set we ordered for him from Sam’s Club for his 13th birthday, less than a week before.  I was really glad it had been delivered on time.
His friends started arriving around 11am. R’s boyfriend came over, too. I waved to his mom as she dropped him off and backed down the driveway.  We all piled into the garage and climbed into our SUV. Our favorite pizza place was the destination and loved by all (even my parents love to eat there when they visit!). The afternoon was filled with food, fun and chocolate & strawberry cupcakes made by one of our dearest friends. So delicious and so thankful that she made them. It was a great Saturday! And my baby boy was now a teenager…

I think I tried to Facetime my Dad a few times that Sunday.  It was his actual birthday. Even though Dad tells us year after year that he has two birth certificates – one for the 5th and one for the 6th, the real day is the 5th.  didn't get to talk to him until that evening.  I remember laughing with him for a bit on the phone and wishing him a great birthday. I finished up writing some lesson plans and we kissed the kids goodnight.  I think I slept like a rock that night. Like a baby. Soundly.

No comments:

Post a Comment